Sunday, September 18, 2011

Connections

As the weeks have started going by, I realize that my ideas of what would happen here are far different from what reality is!!!   I envisioned coming here and jumping right into community and children's ministry activities, planning and implementing, etc. etc.   You know me, Mr. "must be doing something"!!!  ha ha  Well, God is so totally thrown me into a different way of life!!!  Brian has been so very busy since I arrived with pastoring the church, being vice principal at the school, teaching some of my classes till I arrived, teaching at the local high school for his brother till he arrives in mid September!!  So, he and I have really not had much time to sit down and discuss ministry plans and such!!  So, teaching has pretty much been it.  At first, I was getting a little frustrated by not being able to "jump right in", but slowly but surely God is showing me that I need to slow down, I need to take advantage of this time to rest and enjoy learning a new culture and that the time spent "just teaching" is not in vain!!!  
Each day, I can sense my relationships with many of my students beginning to deepen, as well as relationships with others in our church and community!!   Some of my students are starting to hang out in my room during breaks and after school, which affords the opportunity for some great conversations.  I am learning that several of our students are Mormon, but their parents want them to attend Samoa Baptist Academy because of our academic reputation!!  How's that for God working?!!!   I am praying that the relationships I build during my "waiting" time, will be the very vehicle He uses for future ministry!!! 

Please pray for all our students, but especially those that need His light to penetrate their lives.  Kim has these same students for language arts and is also building great relationships with them!!  Pray that God will continue to allow us these incredible opportunities!!!!  Kim has and continues to be such a blessing in my life....we are having a blast getting to know each other, hang out and laugh a lot!!!   But of course, what else would you expect from the daughter of Tim and Suzanne Tomlinson!!!  ha,ha   Also, please pray for Kim and I as there are days of homesickness, being tired and still adjusting to this way of life!!!  (forgot to mention in my earlier posts that it gets dark here between 6:30 and 7:00p.m. EVERY NIGHT OF THE YEAR and sunrise is right around 6:00a.m.!!   So, by 8:00p.m., you feel like you should be inside and ready for bed....and some nights we are!!!  ha,ha)  Thanks so much for your partnership and your prayers!!!!

1 comment: