Monday, March 26, 2012

Catching up

Yes, shamefully I confess, I have not updated my blog since October!!!!  What can I say.....I have not been the good blogger I intended to do.   However, I hope to be back on track now, starting with this update.   We shall see!!!  lol
So much has happened since October that I don't think I can cover it all in this one post, but I will try and give the major highlights.   I continue to enjoy my time and ministry here in American Samoa and have truly developed a deep love for the people of the South Pacific.   I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that God indeed called me here for this time and place and I am so thankful to each of you for your prayers, love and support!!!
Since my last blog, we have an addition to those living on our campus.  We welcomed Samantha Gase (Sam, as we know and love her) worked here as a summer missionary two years ago and has now returned as a nurse at the local hospital, but lives here in one of the campus apartments.  She is one of the most "life enjoying" people I have ever met and her laugh is so contagious.  She also has a love for people and is so gifted in the area of working with children.  She has become family to us all!!!!
Church is still wonderful!!  We are a small congregation, but everyone has such a passion for being the hands and feet of Christ to the island and indeed all the South Pacific area.  We have had a few families move back to the states as their time of working in American Samoa came to an end.  We miss them but know God has great plans for their lives and has others here to come and walk alongside Tafuna Baptist in it's mission.   
Being away from home at Thanksgiving was kind of difficult, but we made it through just fine.  The night before Thanksgiving, we had a wonderful American style meal with Turkey and ALL the trimmings.  It was great!!!   A few hours later was not quite so much fun!!  I called over to Kim's apartment around 1:30a.m., waking her up, asking her to drive me to the ER!!   I had been bitten on my lower right leg by an insect or spider a few days earlier and thought it was no big deal.  But, unfortunately, it had become infected and by that time of morning, I could not walk on my leg and was getting really sick.  So, we spent the wee hours of Thanksgiving at the hospital here in American Samoa, which was another story within itself!!!  (let's just say that on their hopital directory sign on the wall, there is a department called....."spare parts".....yeah, it was an adventure)!!!  lol    Thanks to each one who prayed for me over this infection and please continue to pray.  The original bite healed in about a month's time, but a new one emerged right beside of it and is just now starting to heal.  I have not been able to get in the water here at all, and living on an island in the south pacific and not getting
During the final months of the first semester, Kim felt God calling her back home to the states, so when we flew home for Christmas, she did not return to American Samoa with me.  I miss her very much, but rejoice with her in all that God is currently doing in her life.  In the meantime, God has brought Anne Crane, one of my former summer missionaries, to American Samao to teach the classes Kim was teaching and to minister with us.  Anne is a recent graduate of USC and is having a blast here in the South Pacific. 
Lots of great things have been happening this second semester.  I was given the opportunity to return to the states for two weeks during the end of January, first of February and attend the South Carolina Baptist Convention's collegiate ministry weekend, Converge and to visit several college campuses!!!  I was there to recruit summer missionaries to come here for the month of June and help with VBS and other ministries and to recruit more teachers for Samoa Baptist Academy for the 2012/2013 school year.  It was such an incredible experience and God spoke to some young people who are now either already committed to come or are praying earnestly about coming to serve here!!  I also got to spend a few extra days with my family, which is always an added bonus!!!!
Since returning, relationships with my students continue to grow and I stand in awe of how God is using those relationships to open the door for ministry.  We have started a middle school bible study on Tuesday afternoons, based on the movie "To Save a Life" and we offer a youth/younger children's night every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 where there are games/activities, music and bible lesson.  We are also gearing up for several VBS/backyard bible clubs this summer and for the big, annual football camp that Brian and Brandon sponsor. 
Out of everything that has happened though, I think the highlight of this semester has been the opportunity to travel to New Zealand with a mission team from Tafuna Baptist Church over our spring break week.  Brian Smart, Brandon Smart, Ruth Tuato'o, Anne Crane, Samantha Gase and myself spent 9 days in Auckland, New Zealand working with the Dream Centre church and staff to minister to the Samoan/Polynesian cultures that live there.  What an incredible time of seeing God move!!!  We were able to conduct backyard bible clubs, block parties, coaches clinics and more.  The people were incredible, their accents were amazing and New Zealand is beyond beautiful!!  God allowed us to make some great connections and hopefully lay the groundwork for future ministry opportunities with the Dream Centre and for future church planting.
Many of you have asked, so what now?   What is next for Larry?   Well, I will tell you.....at this point, I am truly feeling God calling me to continue my time and ministry here in the South Pacific, at least for another year, maybe more.  He continues to open up new doors and to involve me in things that I desire to see through and develop deeper.  Brian and I continue to have many "what if" conversations and I am truly so excited at all God seems to be doing!!!  Of course, for this to happen, there has to be a God sized miracle in my finances, but He has promised to provide and I am trusting Him in this.  Please pray for me that I will indeed be faithful to His calling and for all that is ahead.  Also, please pray for my parents and the rest of my family back in TN that He would work in their hearts and lives with this decision as well.   Other prayer requests are:
1.  Continued prayer for our students and for the ministry efforts aimed toward them.  As I learn more of their "stories", the more I see their need for a relationship with Him. 
2.  For Tafuna Baptist Church as we have seen many members move off island and as we continue to seek those here on the island who need to know Him and find a place to worship where they feel at home 
3.  For our new church plant in Hawaii that will be starting in about 3 weeks
4.  For New Zealand, all that God has in store for there and for those who He will be working through to see it accomplished. 
5.  For my leg, my overall health and my finances 
6.  For the work of Christ in the entire South Pacific region
7.  And lastly that we at Samoa Baptist Academy and Tafuna Baptist Church will remain faithful to His calling and His leadership!!!!
God bless you all and thank you for your continued support as we partner together in serving Him!!!
Hope you enjoy the few pictures I have posted below!!! 
Serving together,

Larry

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are having a great time in ministry. Stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete